April 29, 2017

Imprudent

(C) 2017

The wine glass shatters, its pedestal
an egregious tooth beneath the base cabinet.
Like a wide smile I sweep slivers
in a glittering arc. Shoo, shoo.
Two crouched cats already on the window sill.
One day, I’ll wear slippers, I’ll watch where
I place things, look both ways before crossing
the streets of Indecision and Dare.
In theory, cleaning up after is meditation,
or it is regret. Either way I talk to myself
the same as to wary crows who forget no bad deed.
Over-shoulder, backwards glances. Incessant rain.
I am grateful for their wings. The implied flight
away. Here I stand on impudent feet.
Wood chips. Porcelain splits as though seamed.
In cracks and carpets glass shards amplify
a thousand mistakes. Some nights
I am one, others a different matter altogether.

No comments: