September 14, 2021

Elevator Dreams

 (c) 1990

It follows a circuitous path 

and because it lacks a bottom  

I cling to the broken handrails  

or to the cage itself  

propeled at nauseating speedsthis elevator  

taking me everywhere except 

my desired destination.  

 

If I push the down button it goes up 

past floors which have never before existed. 

I will be late. I will lose my job. 

I will miss the big sale. 

Long past closing time  

the elevator spews me onto a wrong floor. 

 

Is this protection or is this abduction? 

A murderer stalks me. 

To elude him I steal a hundred garments,  

wigs, large rimmed sunglasses, hats, 

wanting to disappear into the crowd.  

 

The exits are all chained.  

The only way out is that elevator. 

If only I had some say 

In where I am going. 

No comments: