September 14, 2026

Stafford Challenge. 09/14/2026

 1978. Ignoring strep throat for nearly a year

I was diagnosed with gangrene in my tonsils.

Admitted to Saint Cabrini Hospital,

I gave myself over to the surgical care of a doctor

who wore an imperial mustache

and a ducktail beard,

who had hooked me up to a therapeutic inhaler

every office visit for no reason I can think of

and so far, had touched me inappropriately twice.

I submitted to the designs of caring nurses

and prayer from the Missionary Sisters

of the Sacred Heart of Jesus,

I’d gone under anesthesia as a high soprano

and rose as a tenor. My voice

unrecognizable to the few friends I telephoned.

My friend, Colin visited, and I think he glimpsed my butt

peeping out the back of my gown, blankets

kicked off. I was in too much pain to care.

For a solid month I let ice shards melt

down my throat

until I could handle the jars of baby food.

I swore I’d henceforth pay more attention to my health,

but I didn’t. Not finding out I was pregnant

until the fifth month. Stubbed toes infected.

Depression. Fatigue. Something other than myself

holding my attention.