September 20, 2026

Stafford Challenge. 09/20/2026

 When we were cleaning out

the last three storage units full

of mother’s hoard

 

I took a standing jewelry box to contain

the last 39 of 400 necklaces I beaded—

a year-long memorial duplicating

an obsessive-compulsive disorder

I was grateful to have not inherited from my father

 

and my mother’s childhood doll

tucked away for decades

in a metal trunk alongside hand-carved

doll house furniture we were never allowed to play with.

 

I have no memory of the doll,

don’t understand its story or significance,

only know that she preserved it for over seventy years

 

preserved with her wedding shoes

and home sewn dress,

one yearbook, a graduation certificate,

things she considered important

were guarded.

 

It sits half-fallen over,

the doll face peeling and faded

hair painted on, one arm broken

 

placed on a shelf with my poppets—

dolls made for spells—and hat pins,

things meant to be handled, mulled-over, mauled

pierced

 

and if mother had a mobile spirit

I imagine she’d ask

“why don’t you treat it with love?”