March 19, 2016

The Ghost at Seveth West and Lee Street

(c) 2012


                                    “Notice how everyone has just arrived here from a journey.” Rumi

                      
A Seattle snowfall is rare and after two days of it
I bundle to walk around Kinnear and up to Galer.
We wandered these hills enough, those mid-70s summers,
stoned and mute, and even then,
when we had all the energy of youth
we had to stop to breathe at each block’s crest.
I can hear it all the way to here, our labored breathing,
the branches scratching wind and sparrows chirp-chipping.
I never felt more connected to another—to life.
It was in your house only, where I found succor.
It is not memory; it is my body that knows
all the zig-zags up this hill, the climb with the least stair steps
or the most, and today the hike that minimizes my aging
and these layers of down and wool.

By the time I hike to your old house on Seventh,
I need to shake snow off my sleeves.
Like white, paper ash, I unbury myself from a flurry
of apprehension that seems to always travel with me. 
I am so determined to walk past your house,
a frequent tourist, I return to this attraction year after year
as though it defines the whole experience of “Seattle”.
Instead of recalibrating my trek I trudge in front of the man
who set up a tripod to photograph the sound and the snow.
There are people everywhere snapping photos,
that is how beautiful it is where you used to live.

The hedge your mother planted has grown
into an impenetrable nine-foot wall. I need an overlook,
because today none of this feels familiar.
The tennis court lot was sold, crowded now
with another four-story, three bath.
And what’s with the grid iron fence closing off
the yawning garden and stone path, and out back
that bamboo hinting at modernity and an Asian aesthetic?
I have finally arrived, Glenda, at the moment I know
with dead certainty I will never fulfill my naive promise
to buy this house for us. I will never inhabit
your mother’s room with its spectacular view
of storms lighting up the sound, of the grain elevator,
all those ships creeping out to feed people at all the ports
around the world. Never again the luxury to have you for myself,

to dance to Radar Love in your room that faces
the stairwell up Lee. John and Mark used to sit midpoint,
smoke, and wait for you to show.
And who could fault them? I am a ghost,
hovering there with them, longing for a glimpse
of you in all your fifteen-year-old perfection,
for a few moments feeling like everything would turn out
all-right. But it didn’t. 

Glenda, I think I’m afraid.  Nothing is about aspiration
anymore, it’s about time left, about too much regret. 
Why can’t I let any of it go? I can’t sort out
the all-right from what has gone wrong. Like this blizzard
I can’t clearly see through and by the time I reach Galer I am sobbing. 
I can’t look up; the flakes fall into my eyes like small fairy scissors
cutting, cutting, cutting away.

No comments: