March 23, 2016

Asparagus



I blame you, Grandmother, for the asparagus I steam tonight
remembering how you sent me to pluck it
from that slope behind your house that leaned
toward the apple orchard.  They were winsap, I think,

and red delicious, never ripe when we visited. 
Snap asparagus at the root, you said, showing me only once,
or was it twice?  I was so young and didn’t use a basket
but grasped them like a bouquet of blue bells.

You snapped them into small pieces, scrubbed
then boiled the life out of them.  I didn’t know until later
how you ruined the taste with water and salt
and remember the asparagus, still, as perfect.

It is your fault, Grandma, the way I blithely believe
Providence will provide an abundance of asparagus and apples.
That crate you sent each fall kept the doctor’s away.
The applesauce, the apple pies and fritters,

they were all sweet.  And so I forgive your dreadful bible verses
and the singsong hymns you tucked us into bed with,
hoping to correct our ill manners,  and to punish us
for playing in the tractor sheds and in fields near the pickers sheds

where we saw just how desolate life could be.  I forgive you
for telling me not to play with the children I played with anyway.
It is your fault, Grandmother, teaching me to pick
the wild green sprouting amidst the dying grass.  I forgive you

for calling me bad seed, for thinking I caused more trouble
than you could ever pray me out of, even after that summer
I sat stalk-still and you painted so much majestic hope into my still life. 

That summer you swatted at the bees settling on the butter,
decreed Satan created them, not you.  Grandma, it is your fault
I think your God is small.  He sinned when he erased our faces
from your memory.  But Grandma, your scripture is worthless

if I am now just some stranger peeling apples at your sink. 
I never want to quit being your last regret, your shinning disappointment.

No comments: